Environment and Climate Change Canada is moving forward in its efforts to prohibit the manufacture and import of lead wheel weights.
It is expected that within five years of the regulations coming into force, there will be a 90% reduction of lead wheel weights lost on Canadian roads.
To learn more about the proposed regulatory approach and/or to share your feedback with Environment and Climate Change Canada on the proposed regulatory approach, AIA members are encouraged to:
- Participate in the upcoming webinar hosted by Environment and Climate Change Canada on March 9, 2017 from 10:00 to 12:00 am. If you are interested in attending the webinar, please contact Erin Chreptyk at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to access the registration form.
- Submit feedback by April 6, 2017 on the “Consultation document: Proposed regulations to prohibit the manufacture and import of lead wheel weights destined for the Canadian market” (see consultation document: http://www.ec.gc.ca/lcpe-cepa/default.asp?lang=En&n=656E9D13-1)
Timeline of Proposed Ban:
- Webinar presentation and discussion, March 9, 2017
- 30-day electronic public consultation period on this consultation document, April 6, 2017
- Publication of the proposed regulations in Canada Gazette, Part I, Spring 2018
- Publication of final regulations in Canada Gazette, Part II, 2019
- Coming into force of the regulations, 2020