Federal government’s suite of support programs for businesses impacted by the second wave

October 16, 2020

As COVID-19 continues to impact the economy, the federal government has extended some support programs, while introducing another. These programs are for businesses that are not operating at full capacity due to public health measures introduced in reaction to the pandemic’s second wave.

Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy

The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy has been extended until June 2021; the subsidy will cover up to a maximum of 65% of eligible wages until December 19, 2020.

Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (new)

During the first wave of the pandemic, the federal government introduced a rent subsidy for businesses; the subsidy was minimally utilized because property owners, not tenants facing challenges paying their rent, were responsible for applying for the subsidy. To rectify this, the new Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy will be administered directly to tenants through the Canada Revenue Agency.

Until December 19, 2020, businesses, charities and non-profits that have suffered an income drop of 70%, can receive a subsidy up to a maximum of 65% for fixed property expenses, including rent and interest on commercial mortgages. Businesses that are temporarily shut-down by a mandatory public health order are eligible for a top-up of 25%; this provides a total subsidy of 90% for fixed property expenses. For businesses with an income drop less than 70%, the subsidy amount will decrease accordingly.

Applicants are able to make retroactive claims for the period beginning September 27 and ending October 24, 2020. The rent subsidy program will be adapted in December for application in 2021.

Canada Emergency Business Account (expanded)

Businesses and non-profits that are still seriously impacted by the pandemic can access the expanded Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA). The CEBA provides up to $20,000 in interest-free loans. This is in addition to the original CEBA loan of $40,000 introduced during the first wave of the pandemic. Half of the additional financing would be forgivable if repaid by December 31, 2022. The application deadline for CEBA has been extended until December 31, 2020. To be eligible, businesses must prove that they have lost income because of the pandemic.


Park N Fly Benefits

How the program works

  • Members select their departure city from the drop-down menu
    1. Choose Valet or Self-Park where applicable
    2. Enter their outbound and return dates
    3. Click find your rate
    4. The rates will automatically load
    5. Print a copy of the coupon
  • When exiting the lot
    1. Scan the printed Park’N Fly coupon at the Self-Park pay station
  • If members are using a Valet location
    • Hand a copy of the printed voucher to the agent at check-out or give them the discount code 1120313 once the code is entered by the agent the rate will automatically append to the AIA Canada rate program.
  • Discount Code 1120313
  • At check out members simply scan their pre-printed coupon the Valet or Self-Park pay station
  • When exiting the lot
    • Select form of payment
      1. Credit card
      2. Debit card
    • If they have any difficulties simply
      1. Manually enter 1120313 at the pay station and the rate will be applied
    • Scan the Park’N Fly ticket