Innovation in Automotive Training: Boost your career in the automotive trades
The type of work that automotive tradespeople do is evolving, especially with emerging technologies, like electric vehicles (EVs), hybrid vehicles (HVs), and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS).
These developments and technologies have created a demand for skill development in automotive repair and maintenance.
Additionally, these new developments and rapid growth have also created new opportunities for those looking to start their career or join the automotive trades.
The Automotive Industries Association of Canada has partnered with Conestoga College, Fanshawe College, St. Lawrence College, and Plug N’ Drive to offer free trainings to address the shortage of automotive tradespeople and the need for automotive tradespeople to be upskilled so that they can service modern cars, including electric vehicles (EV).
The Innovation in Automotive Training program will include numerous types of training and up-skilling opportunities, such as:
- Career Exploration: The Career Exploration training includes engaging and firsthand learning and experience for those looking to join the automotive trades.
- Electric Vehicle (EV) Up-skilling: This training allows licensed automotive technicians and senior level apprentices to increase their skill set relating to repair and maintenance of EVs.
- Advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) training: The Advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) training provides licensed automotive technicians and senior level apprentices residing and working in Ontario the opportunity to comprehend and boost their repair and maintenance skills surrounding ADAS.
Previous students, such as Brook Bradley, who was enrolled in the Career Exploration training in 2022, credit the Innovation in Automotive Training program for providing her with more career opportunities in the automotive trades. Allan Berkelaar, previously enrolled in the 2022 EV Up-skilling program, is appreciative of the program. Berkelaar says that learning was hands-on, engaging, and was an excellent opportunity to further his career in the automotive trades.
Training programs will take place beginning in September 2023, with additional sessions being offered in Winter 2024. Each training program will take place at the following college of your choice:
- Conestoga College, Guelph campus
- Fanshawe College, London campus
- St. Lawrence College, Cornwall campus
If you are interested in the Innovation in Automotive Training program, or would like to learn more, we invite you to submit an application of interest.